Previously 30 years advertising for industrial firms has transformed out of all recognition – there are now so additional chances for a small to moderate sized business to market themselves than in the past and at low cost – so that now there isn’t any reason not to successfully market a business of any size – thanks mainly to the web and digital technology.
For those running such small to moderate sized businesses (SMEs) this possibly offers a somewhat perplexing variety of little understood tasks, with the attendant issue of “what’ll it cost?” constantly in our thoughts – and the tacit anxiety that it’s going to be more than can be managed, that we might “get ripped off” or committed to something which we cannot get from.
Thus let us have a serious grown up conversation about advertising – let’s recognize that it’s easy to comprehend advertising – at least no more so than some of the goods which are in the industrial/manufacturing area – less so than some! Let’s also recognize that todayit is measurable and relatively cheap – at the same time as being highly desired.
The way we approach advertising can be similar to the way we approach any technical issue and as in any provider/client relationship it depends mostly on trust – given this and a readiness to go through a proper learning curve a great deal can be accomplished to help grow small businesses into considerably larger ones and to buffer them to a point against the declines that happen.
Given all this – you may do it all yourself – in fact you probably are already doing at least some of it, even if you call it something else – I ‘d argue strongly a specialist professional bureau could do it better and take the load but that is the option and I will be conscious that course may entail issues of its own, if just in locating an excellent one and developing a beneficial relationship with them – let’s then see in broad brush strokes our ideas according to what we’ve found to work:
1. Do use P.R. – by issuing merchandise established launches, application reports, whitepapers etc.
2. Do get involved with Social Media – run a Web Log – have a YouTube channel, use LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook – .
3. Do marketing online – support your P.R. – with low cost web prices, purchase key words and suitably put banner ads, keep a contingency for great prices particularly in printed magazines.
4. Do exhibits- use pop up stands with low-cost and some merchandise stand space.
5. Do use web directories – free entries, business profiles, etc.
6. Do have a website – keep it simple, ensure it remains fast to load and browse, ensure it remains technical/educational.
7. Over its life, keep a flexible strategy budget your advertising activitiesformally
8. Give to advertising actions of your company as a long term part
9. Use your site as a your booklet, your on-line enquiry feed, your business resource that is principal and your practical library
10. Use printed diary advertisingto lead folks to telephone, your site or email
11. Create a picture libraryas center security – this will help you save money and ensure you could create those reports, demonstrations, newsletters, press releases, ads, leaflets etc. at short notice and on small budgets.
12. Use picture security and your text as broadly as possible- in web site, releases, newsletters etc.
13. Use brandingacross promotion, paperwork, promotional material that is corporate
14. Track results although you are able to but keep a view that is wide. A company doesn’t grow
15. Create search terms and the key words significant for your company- use them – particularly online.
16. Place in the standing of the would-be customer who does not even know you exist – yet! Afterward set out to supply what they need to choose you as a provider.
17. Consider video demonstrations on elsewhere and your web site.
Given these guidelines you may discover that it’s useful to look further at each facet of your advertising process – maybe by reading our other whitepapers. As they say “it is not rocket science” but it does call for some careful work and a measure of comprehension, and the earlier you begin subsequently the sooner you’ll see the advantages.